Monday, February 12, 2007

Calm Before the Storm...

Like the weather in the DC area over the past few weeks, things have been relatively quiet around here. Don't get me wrong, it's been ridiculously cold around here, but the weather itself has been boring... cold, cold, and more cold... Consequently, there has not been much to blog about. I missed my chance to talk about how boring the Super Bowl was, or how lame the advertising was this year. I think my favorite ad of the night is a toss-up between the user-created Doritos commercial and the Bud Light wedding commercial. I know the Budweiser commercial with the dog riding on the fire engine seems to have been pretty popular, but that had "cheesy poofs" written all over it as Lauren would say. Sadly, between the commercials and the game, I was ready for bed by the end of the 3rd quarter.

Anyway, since then... the only exciting event has been Steve's 35th birthday. At first I thought he was getting old, and then my friend Noa reminded me that we would be turning 30, which seems just as old. Almost as if I'm in a different generation than Lauren, which has actually led me to look up the definition of Generation X versus
Generation Y.

Turns out that I AM from a different generation than Lauren.
Generation X officially covers individuals born from 1961-1981. Generation Y is official for those born 1979-1999. Not sure what happens if you're born in 79-81... are you a Gen X-Yer?

Officially, my generation has been defined by events such as the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of the Cold War, and marked cynicism towards values held dear by previous generations. We've supposedly abandoned the church and have made divorce more commonplace. You can read more about it
here. In any case, while Lauren may be from a different generation, we are both in what is considered to be the MTV Generation... some common ground.

Anyway, back to the "storm" in the title... Tonight through Wednesday is shaping up to be one of the biggest winter storms we have had in a few years. While the snow totals have declined significantly since forecasters began talking about the storm last week, we are still anticipating some significant ice tomorrow and tomorrow night. You can read more about it
here. As the system continues to develop, we will have to see how the commute does or does not go tomorrow. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Snow and ice?!?! What was better than a Fairfax County Snow Day? I'm sure the local kids are rejoicing....kids....which we we used to be...and as you've pointed out...are not anymore. October 5. The big 3-0. Get ready.